About Me

My photo
My wife & I were able to put University of Michigan & Michigan State rivalry aside. We have been married for 44 years, have 4 children and 9 grandchildren. I was an active Rotarian. I ran my own sales company for a number of years. Customers were here & overseas. I felt fortunate to have had both Ford & Mercedes as customers.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Here's something else that can happen. Yet, we do not prepare ourselves for it. I'm talking about Falling.

Who would believe that Falls are the leading cause of accidental death for Seniors? I hadn't even considered this could be something that could happen to me. You can imagine my surprise when I ran across an Article in the Center of Disease Control that said that Seniors are hospitalized for fall related injuries 5% more often than they are hospitalized for all other injuries combined. Falls are the leading cause of death for Seniors.

An article in the New England Journal of Medicine went even farther.
50% of people who fall will require assistance to get up. 90% who get it within 1 hour will continue to Independent Living; but only 10% will be able to live Independently after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment